East Africa - Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda
West Africa - Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo, Benin, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Nigeria
Southern Africa - Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe
2007 – 2009
USAID US$ 4.43m
ILRI, AU-IBAR, FAO, VSF-Belgium, RAHC
- To improve national, sub-regional and regional capacity for risk-based approaches to targeting surveillance resources so as to enable rapid response for HPAI.
- To improve national surveillance and reporting capacity in general, with direct focus in Nigeria and Uganda.
- To enable sub-regional cooperation and coordination, and regional support, to undertake HPAI investigations, report disease and manage HPAI relevant information.
Respective governments of countries covered by the project.
- HPAI surveillance system assessed and training needs identified.
- Effective tools for targeting HPAI surveillance resources based on risk developed and capacity for their use and production improved.
- HPAI practitioners trained in surveillance techniques, tools, and approaches.
- Knowledge base with regard to HPAI expanded through regional and sub-regional linkages.