The objective of the project is to improve the access to best practices and new knowledge on fisheries management of selected Sub-Saharan (SSA) countries.
Strengthening the CAMFA Secretariat – Implemented by AU-IBAR as Contribution to Component 1 “Coalition Building”
The AFRM has three main bodies and the CAMFA Secretariat hosted by The African Union InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) is established primarily to strengthen the CAMFA process in its role of influencing continental, regional and national fisheries policies. The Secretariat is established to support and work integrally with the two other bodies to facilitate development and promotion at political level of the sector, including the implementation of the PFRS. The Secretariat faces enormous challenges in discharging its duties effectively.
Thus under the Component 1 on Coalition building, one of the expected outputs is to support the role of the AU as the Africa fisheries reform dialogue leader through designing a roadmap for a sustainable regional fisheries coordination mechanism.
Contract duration and costs
A contract has therefore been entered into between the World Bank Group and the African Union InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR). The Duration of the Contract is from July 2018 to June 2019. The maximum amount to be paid to AU-IBAR for performance of the services in the contract currency is: USD 100,000.00.
Objectives of the Contract
The objective of this contract is to establish the required operational framework of an effective CAMFA Secretariat that will be able to discharge its functions effectively within the framework of AFRM.
Specifically, the firm shall:
- Develop an institutional and operational structure of the CAMFA Secretariat consistent with the indicated functions;
- Develop a 5-year work program for the Secretariat indicating budget requirements;
- Develop a sustainable financing mechanism for the Secretariat;
- Develop a strategic cost-effective approach to monitoring and reporting progress of the implementation of the AU decisions related to fisheries and aquaculture; and
- Prepare a report on the implementation of the previous AU decisions highlighting challenges and constraints, best practices and lessons learned.
- An institutional and operational architecture of the CAMFA Secretariat;
- A mechanism to monitor the implementation of AU decisions related to fisheries and aquaculture;
- A detailed record of the implementation of previous AU decisions delated to fisheries and aquaculture;
- A 5-year work program of the secretariat; and
- A financial mechanism of the Secretariat and its sustainability plan.