2013 - 2018
SOLICEP will achieve the above results by carrying out the following activities:
Animal health certification model that promotes the OIE/WTO/SPS Standards for live animals and is acceptable to both importing and exporting countries is defined and tested
- Develop a model that will take into account the unique circumstances of nomadic husbandry practices.
- Disease and species specific animal health certification models will be developed, using epidemiological data, for rinderpest, RVF, FMD and PPR.
- The models will be evaluated and validated for technical, economic and financial feasibility.
- FAO together with the Somali authorities will lobby OIE, other international organizations and trading partners for acceptance of the proposed certification model.
Capacity of Somali public and private institutions to improve access to international livestock markets enhanced
- A self-assessment Performance of Veterinary Services (PVS) will be undertaken to assess the state of the Somali veterinary services and to identify capacity building needs.
- Somali public and private personnel will be trained on animal health certification, international standards and requirements of trading partners.
- Investment funding to public and private sector institutions will be provided to support the implementation of the animal health certification system.
- Veterinary professional will be trained on disease data collection, collation, analysis and dissemination.
- Veterinary professionals will be trained on risk analysis.
- Web-based database on animal health certification and trade will be maintained on the websites of ministries and AU-IBAR.
- Institutions involved in certification process will be strengthened to establish & maintain the certification system.
Linkages among relevant Somali institutions and livestock trading partners enhanced
- Sensitize and create awareness among stakeholders about animal health certification.
- Enhance communication about animal health certification among stakeholders in Somalia and with importing countries.
- Enhance technical coordination on animal health certification, trade and marketing for Somaliland, Puntland and central/south Somalia.
- Enhance communication with trading partners including disease notification to OIE and AU-IBAR.
- Train key personnel on trade negotiations.