A closeout meeting of the Improving Animal Disease Surveillance in Support of Trade in the IGAD Members (STSD) Project, an EU funded project, was organized by the African Union Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) in collaboration with the IGAD/ICPALD on 12th January 2018 at Travellers Beach Hotel in Mombasa, Kenya. A total of 24 participants from Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan and Uganda attended the meeting as well as technical staffs from AU-IBAR, IGAD/ICPALD, AU-PANVAC and FAO.
Rationale and objectives
The overall objective was to bring together all the STSD beneficiary countries to share experience, lessons learned, best practices, Challenges, opportunities and gaps on project implementation, as well as share thoughts on the way forward and recommendations for countries to sustain achievements/benefits realized through the project.
The meeting is also intended to provide an opportunity to strengthen coordination, networking and information sharing among all the IGAD Members States participating in the project. Thus, it is expected to present an opportunity to share ideas and make commitments on important issues related to national and regional coordination mechanisms and networks, common cross-border strategies, joint program/activities, collaboration between livestock key stakeholders, as well as communication sectors at national and supranational levels. Important lessons learned and interventions introduced to mitigate gaps will be shared and their -sustainability discussed.
These include especially the following:
- National and Regional Coordination Mechanism including national and regional animal health networks.
- Enhancement of Disease Surveillance, especially harmonization of surveillance systems, information sharing and the Risk Based approach to disease surveillance.
- Enhancement of Livestock identification and traceability systems (LITS) at national and regional levels.
- The sustainable capacity building of Africa's animal/human health systems.
- Discussion on the "STSD and SMP-AH idea" and the way forward with the aim objective of developing a new program to further develop the capacity of National Animal Diseases Surveillance Systems (NADSS) in the Greater Horn of Africa (GHoA) Beyond 2018.