The three days stakeholder retreat was convened by the AU-IBAR to review the draft continental animal welfare strategy and action plan; and the African Platform for Animal Welfare (APAW) operational structure at Simba Lodge, Naivasha, Kenya from 6-8 March 2017. Over 40 participants attended the meeting including 10 CVOs representing the national governments namely Zimbabwe, Tunisia, DR Congo, Lesotho, Senegal, Morocco, Ghana, Liberia, Chad and Kenya; Regional Economic Communities (RECs), IGAD and ECOWAS; international organizations FAO and OIE as well as other animal welfare organizations: Brooke, World Horse Welfare, Donkey Sanctuary, World Animal Protection, Africa Network for Animal Welfare, Pan African Animal Welfare Alliance, World Animal Net and All Creatures Animal Welfare League.
The overall objective of the retreat was to discuss the draft continental animal welfare strategy and the APAW operational structure.
The specific objectives were:
- To Review and refine the draft African Animal Welfare Strategy (AAWS) in preparation for submission to a validation workshop with specific focus on:
- Considerations of the recent OIE Global AW conference resolutions and recommendations.
- Supporting policy and legal framework.
- African Platform for Animal Welfare (APAW) organizational structure and operational modalities.
- Promotion of African Animal Welfare agenda.
- To Share experiences on Animal Welfare issues and initiatives (RECs, OIE, FAO, MS and NGOs).