The African Union Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR), a specialized technical office of the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture (DREA) of the African Union Commission (AUC), is mandated to support and coordinate the utilization of livestock, fisheries, aquaculture and wildlife as resources for both human wellbeing and economic development in the Member States of the African Union. The Vision of the AU-IBAR Strategic Plan 2018-2023 is an Africa in which animal resources contribute significantly to integration, prosperity and peace. AU-IBAR intervention in Animal Resources sector is guided by the Livestock Development Strategy for Africa (LiDeSA) which is aimed at improving governance of the sector for increased sustainable contribution to food security, livelihoods and wealth creation. Developed within the framework of LiDeSa, the Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa (AWSA) envisions an Africa where animals are treated as sentient beings that contribute to Africa’s socio economic transformation. AWSA’s strategic objectives are: i) Attain behaviour change, educate, inform, promote awareness, advocacy and good practices aligned to OIE standards towards animals; ii) Strengthen effective action on animal welfare; and iii) Mainstream animal welfare in policies, strategies, legislation, investments, programmes and projects.
The Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa can be sourced from the following link: http://www.au-ibar.org/strategy-documents
Objectives of the Assignment
The objective of this assignment is to recruit a consultant or a team of consultants, with diverse expertise in issues that are critical to Animal Welfare, to develop an implementation plan for the Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa. It is intended that the implementation plan will be used alongside the AWSA document as a basis for developing AU Member States’ and Regional Economic Communities Animal Welfare roadmaps. In this regard, the broad objectives of this assignment are as follows:
- To develop a five year implementation plan based on the Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa. The implementation plan that would integrally provide a roadmap for addressing the relevant Animal Welfare issues in Africa will include activities, implementation timelines, intended outputs, performance indicators and actors.
- To prepare a results framework which will be used to track and report on progress on the implementation of the Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa.
Methodology of Conducting the Assignment
During the implementation plan development process, the Consultant(s) is expected to:
- Gain access to, and be thoroughly conversant with, the Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa document and any other relevant documents
- Interview and hold discussion with the Director and relevant staff of AU-IBAR
- Consult electronically and/or virtually with relevant stakeholders identified in close consultation with AU-IBAR
- Participate in a stakeholder workshop (virtually or physically) to validate the draft plan before the implementation before its finalization
The assignment will be executed primarily from home with electronic interaction with stakeholders.
The consultancy will be expected submit to the Director, AU-IBAR:
- A draft inception report within five (5) calendar days of signing the contract. The inception report should demonstrate a clear understanding of the assignment by the consultant(s). The report should also include a detailed work plan, timelines and deliverables of the assignment
- A first draft Implementation plan and Results Framework for the Animal Welfare Strategy that will be circulated electronically for stakeholder inputs
- A second draft implementation Plan and Results Framework that will incorporate all comments and suggestions made by Stakeholders. The second draft will be validated at a stakeholder consultative workshop that will hold virtually or physically
- A final implementation plan and Results Framework that will incorporate comments and suggestions made by the stakeholder consultative workshop.
The consultant(s) selected for the assignment will possess an advanced degree in Animal Resource-related areas with a track record of developing implementation plans and monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
The successfully team is expected to have the following experiences:
- At least 5 years combined experience on Animal Welfare issues
- Record of engagement and familiarization with relevant Animal Welfare institutions in AU member states
- Good record of working with regional institutions and specialized regional institutions dedicated to Animal Welfare
- Record of formulation of policies, strategies and frameworks for AU member states and regional institutions in Africa
- Evidence of in depth knowledge and familiarization of Animal Welfare issues
- Evidence of formulation of Animal Welfare Strategy at national, regional and continental levels
- Record of formulation of implementation plans and monitoring frameworks for structured rolling out of Africa and/or other tropical regions
- Record of evidence of interaction of Animal Welfare stakeholders in the continent
Other Essential Attributes
- Record of good skills and publications in relevant fields of Animal Welfare
- Good experience of facilitating workshops in related fields
- Record of delivery assignment within tight schedules
- Proficiency in at least two AU official languages
The team will include experienced experts in Animal Welfare and strategic planning, who would have carried out similar assignments in Africa. Priority will be given to consultant(s) with experience in developing Animal Welfare Strategy and implementation plan documents in Africa.
Time Frame for Conducting the Assignment
3 months, cumulatively.
Supervision and Approval of Report
Under the supervision of the AU-IBAR Animal Health Officer, the Consultant(s) shall work in close consultation with the AU-IBAR Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation team to develop a suitable methodology for conducting this exercise.
Submission of Proposals
The deadline for submission of applications is 4th Nov 2020.
Budget for the Consultancy: USD 15,000
|Terms of Reference - Formulation of Implementation Plan for Animal Welfare Strategy for Africa|
|2020-10-13 English 243.65 KB|